CIC Start Online is in The Scottish Green List 2010 of the 20 top projects and initiatives for sustainable development
Follow us on twitter!
Testing facilities at University of Strathclyde Glasgow
DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE
Woodworking Machine Shop and Model Making Facility
New up-to-date machine shop tools and a series of work stations equipped with pillar drill, belt and disk sander and scroll saw these combined with 110v and portable battery appliances (jigsaws, power drills and power-drivers) provides the medium range toolset for the cutting and forming of wood and plastics. For the smallest scale modelling the workstations have access to Dremmel battery-powered, model machining tools with a range of accessories for shaping wood and plastics.
The workshop is staffed by a dedicated member of staff with a background in engineering, tool-making and scale model design and construction.
Virtual Environment Lab (VEL)
This a fully immersive VR Research Laboratory based on a Silicon graphics Onyx O2 and 3 projector 160 degree screen, mainly for research and post-graduate use.
DEPARTMENT OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
Laboratory facilities cover all aspects of energy and the environment - from the fundamental properties of solids, liquids and gasses, to the production of power and heat from fossil fuels and renewable energy sources. The intention is to support teaching and research in relation to:
- fundamentals, e.g. material hygrothermal behaviour;
- climatology, e.g. solar irradiance and sky luminance;
- modes of heat transfer, e.g. conduction, convection and radiation;
- human comfort, e.g. air psychrometry;
- conventional energy systems, e.g. for heating and cooling provision;
- power production systems, e.g. fuel cells and engines;
- solar and low temperature applications, e.g. photovoltaic cells;
- mixed mode supply approaches, e.g. combined heat and power.
CIC START PARTNERS
Streaming events for Scotland